Thursday, February 12, 2009

My Crazy Black Blocks

Ever since I've been reading the wonderful Blog of Jo in NZ, I have been ever so inspired by her beautiful work. I have started something that I have always wanted to have a go at; and that is a small quilt (??) or maybe a wall-hanging, that is made up of black and black toning fabrics.
When I say quilt with some ???s I mean, that I may not get enough blocks made to make a quilt but that's what I would like to achieve. Although a wall-hanging would be great as well...

These pictures are some of the seam only treatments that I have done on my first block so far...
This seam has a very simple treatment beside this brilliant coloured lace, which has been sent to me by another crazy seamstress...

This corner had a few small seams in it and I have just kept adding to each one, until there was no room left...


I love the combinations I have put together here on these two seams, there seven (7) different stitches in them...

This the over-all block, I still have some work to do on it, but I may start on the next block soon, as I will need to tie them all together with seam treatments that will need to spread over the adjoining seams. So I will come back to this one at a later date...


4 comments:

Jo in NZ said...

Faye, your block looks great. These black quilts are so much fun to do, and everything looks so vibrant against the fabric. Your seams are great, love the layers!!

A tip from me, if you are thinking of extending seams into neighbouring blocks, you might want to somehow note the threads you used - a photo and the thread number, or I just took a length of thread and looped it over a stitch on the seam so it was there when I went back to work that seam. I did two or three, or as many threads as I used , and there were all there. I did do this after the fact, but if I did something like this again, I would do it as I went along.

Faye said...

Thank you Jo for you comments, I'm glad you like it. Thanks you also for your thread tip when extending over seams onto another block...

Thelma said...

Beautiful work Faye! Also I don't think I have said welcome to CQI. I sometimes get behind in my replies.lol But I love this block,,your quilt will be a beauty.

NickiLee said...

Oh, I love your black blocks! Your seam treatment is gorgeous. I too have always wanted to do a black block quilt - and I love turquoise!

I recently signed up for CQI so hopefully in the future I'll be in a RR with you.